Depression – Causes And Home Remedies
Depression is a state of mind in which one feels low and shows utter disinterest or rather aversion towards any kind of activities. A depressed person suffers from a melancholy or sadness far exceeding the normal level of sadness or grief. Depression is viewed in the light of psychology, ‘the science without a definition’. Therefore the nature, the enormity and cause of depression vary from person to person.
In other words, we all differ from each other psychologically; therefore the depression that we suffer from also differs in nature. Depression takes a toll on the person’s health and adversely affects his or her behavior, emotions and thoughts. Depression may be of two broad types: Endogenous and Neurotic. Endogenous depression springs from genes whereas neurotic depression is the way the mind reacts to environmental precipitating factors like death of loved ones or any other significant loss.
Other classifications are: major depression, dysthymia and bipolar depression. Major depression interferes with all activities necessary to keep alive. Dysthymia is less severe type that simply keeps a person from feeling good. Bipolar depression is characterized by extremes of mood fluctuation. Some of the causes of depression may be listed as follows:
1. Genetic vulnerability
2. Chronic illness
3. Loss of fond possession
4. Loss of spouse
5. Unwelcome change in life
6. Loss of job
7. Financial crisis
8. Hostility in relationship
9. Sexual abuse
10. Hormonal imbalance
11. Imbalance in biochemistry of brain
12. Vitamin and mineral deficiency
13. Stress of excessive work load
14. Diseases like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s dementia.
15. Drug addiction
17. Medications for diseases like high blood pressure, cancer, certain analgesics.
18. Maternal stress during pregnancy.
Home Remedies for Depression
1. Boil few rose petals in water, strain the solution and add a teaspoon of sugar and drink. This is a useful home remedy for depression.
2. Take 1 teaspoon powdered root of asparagus twice daily to get rid of depression.
3. Mix one-fourth teaspoon basil and half teaspoon sage in to a cup of hot water and take daily. This helps in eliminating depression.
4. Take a glass of orange juice early in the morning to get rid of depression.
5. Soak 5-7 almonds in water overnight. In the morning, take the almonds after peeling off the skin. This is an effective depression cure.
6. Take a cup of cardamom tea daily. It soothes nerves and relieves depression
7. Take apple extracts along with milk and honey. It helps to rejuvenate nerves, freeing one from depression.
8. Add 150 gms chopped garlic to equal quantity of a mixture of apple cider vinegar and distilled water. Store in a cool place for 4 days. After 4 days, strain the contents and add honey for taste. Take the solution daily after meals. This alleviates depression.
9. Cashew nuts should be taken in plenty. They stimulate nervous system, keep one cheerful driving out depression.
10. Immersing in lukewarm water for an hour daily is an effective depression treatment.